Our client is seeking a Researcher with excellent critical thinking skills and a strong academic background, to join their team in London. The gallery specialises in the field of Ancient Art and Natural History and are searching for a sharp and experienced researcher to research and describe important works of art and natural history objects. There is exciting potential for the right candidate to join a growing company.
The purpose of the role is to add value to objects in the gallery’s collection and those considered for future acquisition through exceptional, time-critical research and creative writing, contextualising works as well as uncovering lost information such as ownership history.
- Develop a deep understanding of the materials/libraries available for provenance research and art historical research in the relevant fields.
- Develop a deep understanding of the objects the gallery deals in, their aesthetic qualities and the areas where value can most be added by research.
- Develop an understanding of the pitfalls and risks involved in potential acquisitions.
- Working on multiple research projects simultaneously, both at the gallery and at
libraries/archives, prioritising and re-prioritising tasks where necessary.
- Produce exceptional creative writing in the form of tear sheets/PDFs for artworks, summarising important points in concise and powerful ways.
- Working in a small team environment and following up on feedback from the directors.
Abstract/creative thinking for uncovering information.
- Excellent manner in communicating with academics, scholars and archivists where required.
Ability to proofread catalogue entries for works of art.
- Working to tight deadlines around art fairs/exhibitions/auctions.
- Keeping well organised records and entering data in a meticulous way on the gallery’s internal inventory management software.
- Demonstrable exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional creative writing skills.
- Master’s level candidate required, PhD level desirable, ideally in art history or a related field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Strong interest in the field of ancient art and/or natural history.
- Highly motivated and able to demonstrate initiative.
- Good time management skills. An ability to set priorities, manage several tasks concurrently and function with limited supervision.
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Knowledge of French & German would be desirable but not essential.
- Proficient with InDesign desirable but not essential.
Start date: Asap
Location: London; Largely on gallery premises in west London, off-site library work may be required. Limited opportunities to work from home subject to discussion
Hours: FT and Permanent
Salary: up to £37k DOE