Our client is seeking a full-time permanent Registrar with at least two years’ previous experience to be part of an extremely motivated and focused team.
The Registrar will oversee the details and logistics associated with the shipment of incoming and outgoing artwork, assist with exhibition and art fair logistics, and supply clients with crating and shipping estimates.
The candidate should be versed in the language of loan and consignment agreements. Additionally, the candidate should have an in depth understanding of the legal structuring around international shipments and how to handle the nuances of serving collectors’ needs. The candidate must have a strong, existing knowledge of current customs procedures in all parts of the world. Knowledge of a museum-quality level of registrar practice is a must as the gallery works closely with institutions.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Accurate management of gallery inventory, both on-site and at several offsite storage facilities in the UK and the US
- Liaising with institutions, clients and artists’ studios to provide estimates for and organising incoming and outgoing shipments of artwork
- Coordinating and supervising the movement of artwork with shippers and storage facilities
- Ongoing management of import, TA and Bond status of works
- Administering thorough internal and formal condition reports for incoming loans, consignments and new inventory both onsite and offsite
- Overseeing of professional photography and maintaining all photographic records
- Assistance with accounts and book-keeping would be an advantage
- Maintaining positive relationships with artists and collectors while at the same time ensuring the best interests of the gallery
- The Registrar should have the ability to manage and execute large-scale projects, both at the gallery and elsewhere, whilst simultaneously addressing requests that arise day to day in an efficient and timely manner.
- Will work very closely with the other members of the gallery team to share information on best practices regarding the movement of artworks for exhibitions and sales.
- Organise and oversee photography and the management of all images on the database and elsewhere.
- The role will be client facing at times so good interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Previous experience working in a commercial space
- The Registrar will be working with a small team and it is important that each member of the team is helpful to one another and supportive in terms of workload. This allows for someone to be an expert in their field while being happy to share their expertise and also appreciate input from others.
- The candidate must be highly organised, detail-oriented, fun-loving, dedicated, and flexible.
- Knowledge of contemporary art and the workings of a gallery are necessary
- Experience in using Artlogic is a benefit.
- Previous experience with accounts and book-keeping is an advantage.
- Candidate should be engaged in this position and be able to make a long-term commitment to the gallery.
Salary DOE up to £45k
Role to start ASAP but notice periods will be considered.