The role of the Operations Manager reports directly to the Head of Operations, US and is responsible for managing the operational activities of the Gallery including artwork processing, installation and overseeing building maintenance and services. He or she will line manage technical teams and will act as the point person for all operational functions related to exhibitions, private viewing, and local transportation.
This is a dynamic management role which focuses on the delivery of complex projects, stakeholder management as well as ensuring the safe handling, processing and installation of artworks on the ground. This role will engage directly with colleagues across different departments from Artist Liaison and Sales to Finance, Marcomms and the Registrar teams.
Key priorities of the role include:
- To ensure the effective forward Operational planning and installation of the Gallery exhibitions and projects in the Los Angeles.
- To form clear and open communication with the New York based Exhibition Registrar, Client Services Registrars and Exhibition Manager and technical teams.
- To proactively engage and maintain clear channels of communication with non-Operational stakeholders, including within Artist Liaisons/Sales, Marcomms and Finance departments throughout the lifetime of each exhibition or project.
- Act as main point of contact for the Los Angeles gallery’s client viewings logistics.
- To have oversight over planned shipping schedules to ensure alignment with the technical, installation and photography requirements for each exhibition or project.
- To ensure effective photography & processing of artworks, including condition reporting, cataloguing & photography, and timely and accurate administration of projects.
- To assist the Head of Operations, US with the Technical budget for LA.
- To liaise with Operational colleagues in UK, US and China to ensure consistent processes and standards are maintained.
- To demonstrate a high level of dynamism and drive and be able to think quickly to resolve issues as they arise.
- To continually assess the strategy to provide operational support to the Gallery’s revenue streams and to play a pivotal role in driving change as required.
- Working in tandem with the New York-based Client Services Registrar to implement timely shipment of sold artworks to clients, ensuring that shipments comply with local customs regulations, condition reporting is in place and packing is appropriate.
- Responsible for building maintenance, which may include, health and safety, security, fire safety, waste collection, cleaning contracts etc.
- Support the art fair team with art fair related projects in the LA area.
Key skills/highly desirable attributes include:
- Excellent management skills with the capability to track and manage progress of complicated projects.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, solve problems and delegate effectively.
- High level of competence in the manual handling of art works of various media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, both in person and over video conferencing.
- Strong knowledge of shipping procedures.
- Experience of managing technical staff in a time sensitive, high-pressure environment.
- Proactive, can-do attitude.
- Detailed knowledge of Salesforce, SketchUp and Smartsheets.
- Experience of digital/online only projects.
- 5+ years of experience working in a prominent commercial gallery.
Salary: Flexible (DOE)