About the Gallery
Our client is an established, international Gallery with 3 galleries globally, including London. Specializing in works of art from antiquity through to the modern era, offering its clients expert advice and service, and an exciting programme of exhibitions and events.
About the Role
The Gallery seeks a Gallery Assistant to join its London team. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and dedicated individual who is passionate about art and is looking to focus on the operational aspects of the gallery. While prior experience in a comparable position would be advantageous, it is not mandatory.
- Condition check and support Gallery Manager updating the system with incoming and outgoing works of art and all necessary documents.
- Support Gallery Manager ensuring art databases are up to date.
- Support Gallery Manager liaising with local carriers for movement of works of art and miscellaneous items and manage associated paperwork.
- Support Gallery Manager maintaining an updated inventory of gallery lights, gallery pedestals and catalogues.
- Interest in Art installation- helping Gallery Manager to properly install and light paintings within the gallery.
- Overseeing track lighting at the gallery- making sure all lights are working, changing bulbs when necessary, ordering replacements etc.
- Support Gallery Manager ensuring entire premises is compliant with health and safety legislation.
- Oversee the maintenance of the premises’ appliances, equipment, furniture, and fittings (a/c system, telephones, equipment, etc)
- Help Gallery Manager with facilities management- liaising with handymen, making sure broken appliances are fixed in a timely manner etc.
- Manage the storage and supply levels of stationary, tools etc. and order weekly grocery shop.
- Support Research Team preparing display labels.
- Prepare miscellaneous, catalogues and green files to include in shipments for fairs abroad.
Front of House
- Welcome members of the public, clients, dealers, representatives from auction houses and museums, historians etc.
- Receive and send out post and courier deliveries/collections.
- Answer phone as and when required.
- Request catering quotes, book security guards.
- Assist during gallery events and parties.
Reporting to: Gallery Manager
Availability: Part-time or Full-time
Contract Type: Initially short-term with potential for permanent role.