This role reports directly to the Financial Controller based in London. He/she is responsible for the production of the New York management accounts, accounts payable processing and financial controls relating to the Gallery’s NY business unit.
The role has primary responsibility for providing timely, accurate and concise information to the senior management team, the department heads, staff and suppliers. The person in this role will also manage petty cash in New York.
This role is made up of 3 main elements:
- Management Accounts
- Contribute to accurate and fully reconciled monthly management accounts to the agreed timetable ensuring full understanding of significant variances to budget and to prior year for each entity.
- Work closely with budget managers & the Financial Controller to monitor and analyse costs and ensure targeted savings are achieved.
- Reviewing overhead costs ensuring appropriate accruals and prepayments are in place.
- Assist with the annual budgeting process with specific responsibilities for New York overheads.
- Overseeing all year-end activities for the gallery.
- Financial Control
- Ensuring that Gallery meets all US audit and other statutory requirements.
- Ensure full and timely compliance with all tax legislation for the gallery in NY in regard to income, sales and payroll taxes.
- Ensure sales taxes are filed in timely manners.
- Prepare cash flow forecasts.
- To implement effective balance sheet controls, particularly in respect of control account reconciliations.
- To design and implement effective and efficient Petty Cash and Staff Expenses processes.
- To ensure New York bank & credit card reconciliations are completed on a timely basis including the proper classification of expenses and that there are no unreconciled items.
- Will be involved in sales approval process.
- Ensure SAP B1 is being used optimally and with appropriate controls.
- Accounts Payable
- Manage the purchase ledger function in line with Company policies and procedures
- Ensure supplier invoices and staff expenses (including supporting documents) are correctly recorded in the accounting system
- Ensure Concur Expense/Management is being used optimally and with appropriate controls for staff expenses and in the near future for third party vendors
- Liaise with internal stakeholders and suppliers to ensure that queries are resolved within acceptable timescales
- Monitor supplier statement reconciliations
- Weekly and monthly monitoring of the purchase ledger performance ensuring a consistent level of quality and compliance is delivered
- Continuous review of internal processes
Key skills/attributes include:
- 4+ years of experience in a fast-paced business environment
- Qualified accountant or qualified by experience (has a working knowledge of GAAP)
- Motivated individual with excellent time management skills
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to multitask
- Proven record of demonstrating an ability to work on their own or within a group setting
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong focus on providing an excellent service to internal and external customers
- Strong IT skills, particularly in the use of financial packages, EXCEL
- Experience with Sales Tax Rules and in particular the Wayfair Ruling
- Experience with the use of SAP, Vison and Concur
- Interest in and familiarity with art galleries
- Ability to work in a matrix organisation structure
- Ability to develop and implement policies, ensuring stakeholder support
- Able to adhere to & enforce current policies & an ability to develop/implement new policies to improve the overall financial performance, security & reliability of information.