We are on the hunt for a Senior Technician to work with a Blue Chip Contemporary Gallery in London.
Our client is seeking an experienced Senior Technician to contribute to the movement, care and display of artworks across three main gallery sites and several warehouses across London. The role will support gallery exhibitions and viewings, installations in client homes, and work carried out at storage facilities. The role reports to the Exhibition Manager and oversees the work of two to three technicians and frequent freelancers. The successful candidate will be expected to confidently carry out packing, installation, maintenance and related administrative duties, with careful adherence to health and safety standards and the ability to train junior staff in best practices. This role will be relied upon to manage busy daily work schedules and communicate closely with the Exhibition Manager.
- Expert-level daily fine art handling, packing, production, framing and exhibition installation
- Careful recording of movement of artworks on and off-site
- Producing comprehensive condition reports, maintenance & installation guides, and packing instructions
- Working directly with gallery registrars and client services to coordinate and deliver viewings, installations and post-sale technical duties
- Maintaining stock of appropriate packing materials and tools
- Collaborating with/overseeing specialist contractors and photography
- Contributing to art fair & special projects installations/de-installations and preparation as necessary
- Keyholding and general gallery upkeep
Knowledge, skills, experience
- High degree of skill in manual handling of artworks of various media; experience leading on complex installations and delivering to highest quality visual standards
- Experience carrying out accurate condition checks
- Experience using a CRM & databases such as gallery inventory systems
- Basic proficiency in AV works, framing procedures and basic conservation techniques
- Gantry use and rigging experience; forklift and lifting platform licences are an advantage
- Excellent time management skills
- Proactive attitude; ability to troubleshoot, lead junior staff and delegate
- Excellent general professional communication skills, including client-facing
- Ability to travel and willingness to work at any required London site on a given day
- Ability to stay calm when under pressure
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience is expected
This is a full time position to be filled ASAP.