Purpose of the Post
The Head of Membership & Exhibition Services oversees the Membership Managers and drives the development and implementation of member relations activities for our client, including the recruitment and retention of Members, with a view to increasing membership and meeting annual sales targets. In addition, they manage the in-house Exhibition Services team, comprising of an Exhibition Services Manager and Registrar. They feed into the over-arching company strategy as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Direct sales and pipeline management;
- Work closely with Membership & Business Development Director and other senior management, to maximise sales opportunities and convert sales;
- Work alongside the Programme Manager to devise and implement a strategy for the continued growth and expansion of the Members programme;
- Carry out an ongoing review and benchmarking of the scheme to ensure our client delivers a world-class Membership programme;
- Identify potential for increased revenue through overseeing the active relationship management of Members;
- Ensure first-class stewardship of Members adhering to best practice;
- Supervise the maintenance of appropriate IT systems and activate the team to maintain up-to-date records on the Salesforce database, to efficiently utilise and push leads through membership pipelines;
- Create pertinent reports to feed into the Membership strategy, Member retention strategy, renewal systems and support the Membership life cycle to ensure high retention rates across all Membership tiers;
- Manage the Membership income and expenditure budgets;
- Work closely with the Membership & Business Development Director to ensure effective financial and data management and reporting;
- Work with the team to gather and analyse Member feedback on the experience for reporting to the Membership & Business Development Director and the wider team, to make improvements and continuously drive to achieve an excellent service;
- Oversee the Membership Managers to respond to negative feedback or complaints in a considered, timely and effective manner with the support of the Membership & Business Development Director and where relevant, the Managing Director;
- Appropriately communicate Member needs and requests to the Exhibition Services and Operations Teams to guarantee a seamless and holistic customer experience;
- Ensure that the organisation’s ethos and brand is upheld by Membership Managers offering a friendly, personable and professional experience;
- Build effective working relationships with the Chair of the Membership Committee and Committee Members;
- Develop warm, communicative and professional relationships with existing Members;
- Ensure regular flow of information from the Membership Team to the wider team, senior colleagues and key contacts;
- Work with the Communications and Marketing team on all Members communications including newsletters, invitations and social media;
- Work with the Communications and Marketing team on campaigns to increase membership presence online and recruitment of new Members;
- Work with the Communications and Marketing team to produce and update marketing and membership materials such as our brochure and membership packs.
- Focus on commercial income generation by identifying, developing and exploiting business opportunities that are beyond the Membership. Including identifying commercial income streams, building partnerships and delivering targeted growth;
- Attend Openings, events and Member events representing the organisation;
- Support Membership & Business Development Director’s activity relating to programming and prospecting.
- Work closely with Exhibitions Services team to identify and exploit opportunities for new revenue generation;
- Conduct regular competitive analyses to ensure pricing is in line and attractive;
- Work with Communications and Marketing team to better promote the facilities and services on offer at the organisation externally;
- Foster close, creative and communicative working between the Membership and Exhibition Services team to ensure Member satisfaction;
- Develop referral and other schemes to extend services within and without the organisation;
- Oversee the Exhibition Services budget, with the help of the Exhibition Services Manager and provide monthly reports for presentation to Directors and Board Members.
- Provide effective leadership and line management for the Membership Managers, Exhibition Services Manager and Registrar;
- Encourage collaboration and ensure distribution of workload across the teams
- Carry out staff appraisals and develop team members through regular feedback and coaching;
- Manage departmental budgets for Membership and Exhibition Services departments, including reporting, forecasting, and monthly P&L management.
*Note, this is not exhaustive. Other duties as necessary when relevant.
Essential skills and attributes
- Demonstrable experience of pipeline management and converting / delivering to sales targets;
- Demonstrable experience of budget maximisation and reporting;
- Demonstrable experience of being able to translate and progress creative ideas into specific and achievable actions;
- Experience of developing and delivering a highly effective Membership scheme – including recruitment and retention strategies, and analysis of behaviours to forecast future renewal patterns and inform financial planning;
- Proven experience of managing a team and the ability to forge mutually-respectful and effective working relationships with a diverse range of personalities;
- Outstanding social skills and people management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, membership engagement skills and the ability to liaise and present confidently at all levels with a rigorous attention to detail;
- Flexibility and ability to work on own initiative and under pressure;
- Outstanding organisational skills and ability to identify and manage priorities within the workload;
- Confidence and proficiency with databases;
- Knowledge of the public and private art sector in the UK and an understanding of the global art scene and schedule, including but not limited to art fairs, biennales and art weeks;
- Demonstrable and active interest in art, design and visual culture, with an understanding of the organisation’s particular role within it;
- Art History, Fine Art or Curatorial Studies degree or minimum 5 years experience in the Art Industry;
- Active participant in the London art world – networking with gallerists, dealers, collectors, curators and other institutions to develop working relationships relevant to the organisation.
Conditions of Work
- Permanent contract.
- Full time, Monday-Friday, 9.30am – 6pm, including one hour for lunch.
- Some evening and weekend work will be required, compensated by time off in lieu.
- Probation period: 3 months.
- Notice period: 3 months in writing on either side.
In addition, the benefits you are eligible to receive are:
- 20 days annual holiday plus UK Bank Holidays.
- You will be eligible to participate in the business’s pension scheme.
- Training opportunities.
Reports to: Membership & Business Development Director
Hours of Work: Full time
Salary: Up to £55k, based on experience