We are on the hunt for a Gallery Assistant/Technician to work with a Fine Art Gallery in Mayfair.
Reporting to the Directors and Stock Controller, the gallery is seeking a candidate who wants to commit for the long term and who is prepared to work with the company stock controller to gain a full understanding of buying, storing and stocking in new paintings.
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Supporting the Gallery team
• Providing all necessary support and assistance to the Directors to ensure the smooth running of the gallery operation.
• Providing cover during lunch, holidays and other busier periods
• Attendance as required for out of hours gallery visits
General gallery duties
• Assisting with the hanging of the gallery space as required
• Ensuring all paintings are correctly lit, captioned, priced and labelled
• Bringing paintings to the public viewing area(s) as required for client presentations
• Ensuring information sheets & photographs are available to hand
Stock control duties
• Knowing the whereabouts of paintings in stock and maintaining tight stock control
• Ensuring painting racks are kept tidy and correctly labelled
• Maximising use of available storage space
• Assisting with collections and deliveries to and from the gallery
• Recording the movement of paintings, including inter-gallery transfers
• Relocating paintings on the database following delivery/shipment
• Assisting the Stock Controller with all aspects of management of paintings, including stock checks as required
• Responsible for ordering stationary and maintaining the stationary cupboard.
• Assisting the Stock Controller with all aspects of effective management of frames, including framing & unframing paintings.
• Ensuring frames are kept tidy and in good order
• Assisting with the movement of frames between the store and the gallery
• Assisting the Stock Controller with sourcing paintings that may be of interest to the Chairman
• Liaising with auction houses to request additional images, condition reports etc.
• Assisting with bidding arrangements.
• Accompanying the Chairman to auction viewings
• Collecting purchases and unsold paintings from UK auction houses
• Assisting in preparation for upcoming exhibitions
• Attending exhibition openings to assist with the smooth running of the event
• Delivering paintings by car to UK purchasers
• Assisting the Chairman & his family
• Maintaining the garage and seeing cars are kept in good order
• Ensuring building is secured prior to locking up at night. i.e. all windows properly locked, doors closed, lights off etc. Rubbish placed on street during prescribed hours.
• 1st Aid Certificate to be maintained up to date
• Experienced in the handling of valuable paintings/works of art
• Experienced driver with a full clean driving licence
• Flexible. Able to bring practical skills to the task in hand, including framing etc
• Presentable, with the ability to communicate with clients and colleagues
• Customer orientated, always willing to put the customer first
• Demonstrable ability to work under the pressure of conflicting demands
• Computer literate
• Team player who is prepared to multitask
• Aware of the importance of health & safety, first aid etc
• Some Saturday and out of hours working will be required for gallery exhibitions and fairs and Client visits etc
Position to be filled ASAP
Must have full clean driving licence